Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The State of Things

    Over the past couple months I have been trying to focus on a few things. One of which is Getter Robo, an old mecha anime from the 70s. If you look at it from modern standards, it's total garbage. But doing that is silly, as it didn't come out in 2020, it came out in 1974. It's silly, hammy, mecha fun. However, I'm fairly certain the entire population of Tokyo has died several times over over the course of this show. I only have a few episodes left and I plan on going on to Getter Robo G, then Armageddon. I am looking forward to eventually watching Armageddon, as it sounds rather unlike the animes it's based on. And it has HEATS. So yeah.
    Other than Getter Robo, there's Attack on Titan, which I had never planned on watching, but I caved and gave it a shot.The premise is rather interesting. Humans pushed into a corner (more like a walled city but that's beside the point) by these giant beings that somehow annihilated basically everyone. It sort of starts to fall apart rather quickly however. A training academy arc that goes on for far too long, the boulder arc, not to mention characters that the audience is supposed to care about, but because they had a grand total of like five minutes of screentime, when they die, I don't care. People use the neverending deaths of random characters as proof the show has no plot armor, but the protagonists Armin, Mikasa, and Eren have the thickest plot armor on the planet. I only probably will watch the first season. I may give the manga a shot someday, but it looks like it's rather long, and I'd rather devote that shelf space to InuYasha.
    Outside of animu land, I have been playing Tales of Berseria. It's alright. The battles are dreadfully boring, but thankfully there's an auto-battle feature. I actually prefer it to Vesperia. The facial animations aren't as stiff as Vesperia's and the plot feels a little more focused than Vesperia's constantly meandering plot. I find the plot of Berseria somewhat more interesting than Vesperia's "technology bad" but even then, it's not great (so far.)
    Then there's Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. I like this one a lot. The gameplay is somewhat standard SMT fare but hey, it's not bad. The music is pretty good, and the graphics are very 90s SMT. The dungeons are not like Persona 1's confusing mazes thankfully, but they still can be rather sprawling. I am glad there's a "hack" to lower the difficulty, not because it's hard, but because encounter rates! No amount of difficulty lowering will save the protagonist from a stray Mudo though. At least since this isn't Persona, humans are immune to Hama. I wish Devil Summoner was officially translated or had a patch because I just cannot deal with the negotiations in that game. Could just be I have been getting rather unlucky with my random picking of options.
    That's all for now. When will I make another post? Who knows. Kind of weird to see my post from almost eleven years ago. It's embarrassing but I think it would be wrong to delete that piece of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment